Making enough money to replace their "real job" income is a distant dream for most. The thing is, it takes a certain type of person to commit to the hard yards of making a full time living from home. There is no reason though as to why you cannot start making a little bit of a side income. You never know, depending on what sort of things you do it could turn into a full time profession!
Here are five ways you can earn money on the side. All of these are things I have done personally to earn money as a stay at home mum and most I have continued doing when I am need of a cash injection.
1. SOURCE FREE ITEMS AND RESELL Look for potential profit items hard on rubbish day, from the freebie section of Gumtree or giveaways from friends and re-list them online. Sometimes you might need to give something a clean up or a minor repair but you can generally make some decent money. When I have done this, my profit makers were furniture, in particular couches or lounge suites. I would pick them up and give them a vacuum or spot clean and resell for a minimum $100 profit.
2. FROM OLD TO SOLD Vintage, antique and retro items are all so on trend right now. Search around your local markets, garage sales and op shops for little gems that can make you some serious cash. Consider things like coloured glass, pottery or collectors items. If you aren't sure about what something might be worth, whip out your smartphone and google any stamps or engravings that are on the item and then a brief description. Your search should bring up images of the product or similar ones and give you an idea of their worth. Compare it against what the asking price is and if you think you could flip it for a profit online like Ebay, Gumtree or even Etsy. Sometimes you will hit the mark, sometimes you won't. If there are a million of them on ebay already don't bother but if its something reasonably rare give it a crack. Make sure it's in good condition. I once picked up a plate with three flying ducks on it for four dollars from an op shop. I sold it later for forty dollars.
3. MISSION FOR COMMISSION You can start by decluttering your own home and selling it online by why stop there? Offer to sell items for other people and charge a commission. You could go by a flat rate or a percentage of the sale price. Another thing you can earn commission for is finding things for people. If someone you know is after a particular thing such as a specific kind of property or car, you could charge a percentage to find the product for them.
4. ENTER FREE COMPETITIONS Check out sites like "Win free stuff" "Aussie Contests" or "Competitions Guide" to enter a whole heap of free competitions. Make sure you read guidelines carefully to maximise your chances of winning. I can attest to this being effective, since starting comping approximately two years ago I have won over $28,000 in cash and around another $2500 in prizes. I spend about three to four hours a week entering competitions.
5. PROVIDE A SERVICE/CONSULT Think of the kinds of things you are good at and have the tools already available to assist you. Anything from walking dogs or mowing lawns to writing or driving. Write them all down and see how you can potentially monetise them. For example if you are good with kids you might consider setting up a playgroup or a family day care in your home. Alternatively you might talk to your neighbours and let them know you are looking for handyman work. Whatever you do, do it well, be on time and professional and you will increase your chances of repeat work.
Glad you enjoy it Marie, I hope to do something a bit more comprehensive soon with more ideas but these are things I do regularly and are therefor tested through and through. Every little bit of cash helps I think!